Sunday, July 13, 2008

Kinneigh Graveyard Survey

Coppeen Archaeological Historical and Cultural Society are currently creating an inventory of graves in Kinneigh Graveyard (beside the round tower). They are appealing to anybody who can positively point out and identify graves to help them do so. The Kinneigh Round Tower has been recently restored and two graveyards and a church are close by. On the southern side, beside the church of St Bartholomew, lies the Church of Ireland graveyard. There are about 38 grave enclosures each with a headstone bearing details of those interred. Most of these burials have taken place during the 20th century. The church itself was built in 1856.

On the northern side of the church, a one acre site is covered in a dense concentration of low uninscribed gravemarkers. Centuries of burials have taken place here and two previous churches stood in the same area.

The Coppeen Archaeological Historical and Cultural Society website is www.coppeenheritage.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home